As the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve in our Province, Haida Gwaii Recreation is taking the necessary precautions to prevent & protect instructors and participants by limiting programs over Spring Break and suspending ALL registered, drop-in, & supported programs starting the week of March 29th. We are promoting and practicing social distancing in an effort to reduce risk and burden on our local health services in the coming weeks.
From CAO Daniel Fish at North Coast Regional District:
“As of right now, there are no reported cases of COVID-19 within the northern health authority region. With that said, the situation is dynamic and more information and instructions are coming from governments each day. At the NCRD, operations remain business as usual, with the exception of recreational programming on Haida Gwaii. As the situation continues to evolve, further adjustments to work arrangements and service delivery may be made to better protect against the spread of infection.”
Haida Gwaii Recreation is limiting programs to those with under 15 participants.
With schools closed for Spring Break, our drop-in programs are currently halted and many registered programs have just completed their winter session. We caution use of public gyms island-wide. Of the handful of programs left, we have the following contingencies in place:
- Full refunds will be issued to any individuals who wish to stay home at this time
- Instructors will provide registrants with an outline of safety & hygiene practice for their programs for consideration either in-person or via e-mail
Programs that are confirmed to be continuing with cautionary approaches over the next 2 weeks include:
- Alternative Fitness – Masset
- Tabata Training – Masset
- Dance – Masset
- Puppet Camp – Masset
- Art in the Wild Camp – Masset
- Art & Yoga Camp – Queen Charlotte/Skidegate
- Public Speaking 1-0-1 – Queen Charlotte
*Please note: programs outside of HG Rec insurance coverage will require notice of cancellation from the hosting organization/studio/gym. For clarification on what programs are under our umbrella, please give us a call (250-626-5652) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Starting the week of March 29th, we will suspend ALL drop-in, registered, and supported programs listed as Service Providers.
- FREE programs Senior’s Yoga, Alternative Fitness
- Drop-in programs in ALL schools. Sandspit Rec Committee is also suspending activities in their gym.
- Registered programs planned for Spring. We have sent notice to instructors of cancellations and will administer refunds for all Spring programs this week.
- Supported programs island-wide. This includes groups that are under our insurance coverage umbrella like Sea Cadets. Please contact your program organizer for more information.
- Gym closures & suspension of weight room orientations.
A final reminder from NCRD:
“The best source of information on the COVID-19 situation can be found on the BC Centre for Disease Control website at: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19. In addition , individuals can call 8-1-1 if they have questions about personal symptoms.
The COVID-19 situation is still evolving and the Province is providing daily briefings on cases identified in B.C. To keep up to date on all of the latest information, you can sign up to receive emails on this topic at: https://news.gov.bc.ca/subscribe?ministries=health§ors=government-operations.”
We will provide further updates on our program suspensions, closures & refunds this week. Please contact me directly should you have any questions. Big haawa/thank you to our instructors who have gone above and beyond these past few weeks to diligently sterilize equipment, practice proper hand-washing, acting as advocates for both physical activity & infectious disease prevention!
Haida Gwaii Recreation
2151 Tahayghen Drive/PO Box 187