NEW! INTRODUCTION TO SOURDOUGH BREADMAKING
Learn to make healthy, artisan sourdough bread this fall in the comfort of your home kitchen with a 90-minute virtual baking class! Pour a cup of tea or glass of wine and bake together in real-time with others across the islands. Melissa Paugh, an experienced sourdough baker living in Sandspit, will guide you through the process, as we learn how to maintain and use a starter to create simple, delicious bread without complicated recipes, ingredients or equipment. The course includes a sourdough starter, recipes, and reference materials to support your baking after the course is over.
To help manage the delivery of starter & materials, we have 4 classes scheduled with 2 dates for participants located in the south (i.e. Sandspit all the way to Tlell) and 2 dates for participants located in the north (i.e. Port Clements all the way to Old Massett and Tow Hill).
Day(s): Sunday afternoon & Monday evening classes
Location: Zoom (link sent directly to registrants)
Instructor: Melissa Paugh
A minimum of 8 participants required for this class to run. Sorry, this is a registered program only for residents.
Melissa has been baking with sourdough for five years and has made (literally) hundreds of loaves. She finds making sourdough bread a nourishing and meditative practice that feeds her family and her spirit. In addition to bread, Melissa also likes to use sourdough in cooking and baking, like crackers, pizza, cakes, and even batter for fried fish. While the dough is rising, Melissa works as a museum planning consultant. She also loves making art with her five-year-old, gardening, trail running, and any chance to get out on the water.
- Participants should download Zoom on their device well in advance of the class. If you need assistance with troubleshooting, you can contact Haida Gwaii Recreation during weekdays (9am – 5pm, M – F) at 250-626-5652 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For immediate assistance on the day of the program, please contact the instructor.
- Participants can show up to class online at least 10 minutes before start. This gives you enough time to ensure your micophone and webcam work.
- Participants will be provided with a starter and other materials for this program. Please have a secure space to receive these items upon delivery and send accommodation requests to Haida Gwaii Recreation during weekdays (9am – 5pm, M-F) so your materials get to you!
- Participants should ensure that you mute yourself at all times unless when you’re speaking (e.g. asking a question) to reduce residual noise.
- Participants are asked to be respectful and mindful of others in the program. This includes minimizing distractions, arriving prepared and on time, and using respectful language.
Staying safe is a shared responsibility.
Please do your best to abide by these new procedures to ensure we can recreate safely and respectfully together on Haida Gwaii.