SUMMER CAMP-AT-HOME 2020 – All-Island
We are shifting our direction to align with local leadership to offer a safe and engaging camp experience to local youth ages 5 – 12 years. Given the change in our Local State of Emergency, Haida Gwaii Recreation is no longer able to provide in-person programming in summer 2020. Our Summer Camp-At-Home, running August 10 – 28th, will combine packages of simple yet fun activities with healthy snack delivery and virtual programming for locals. We have three themes for camps this year:
- Under the Sea
- Natures Treasure Quest
- Around the World
Each package will relate to each theme and will include:
- Camp-At-Home instructions & welcome package
- Web-links to any Camp Specialist instructional videos on YouTube
- Four at-home activity kits with all supplies required to complete each & instructions*
- Three healthy snack packs for each day of camp (Wednesday – Friday)
- A surprise package for the final day of camp (Friday) that includes a small prize
*Instructions will be adapted to each age group based on literacy levels. For example, emphasis on visual instructions.
Virtual session activities will also relate back to each weekly theme.
- The Zoom sessions for the Littles really emphasize just having fun and connecting with friends. Dress-up and have a tea party virtually with your friends, a wacky dance party with bubbles and music, or show & tell puppet shows for the projects you’ve made. We want it to be easy for parents, without huge onus on you all to be fully present to follow along with instructions. Those will be provided in the package, so you can enjoy activities with your kids whenever you have the time.
- The sessions with the Bigs will be geared toward helping them with their activities, with some structured games. We may introduce some challenges in Zoom break-out groups, and want to engage kids with a Camp Specialist who will lead an activity. This hour and a half is designed to fully engage the kids, but parents/guardians should still be present for supervision.
- The virtual sessions with the pre-teens is focused on skill-building, teamwork, and completing short challenges together. We will use more Zoom features, like supervised breakout groups and annotate (white-board drawing). The goal is to work together for a common goal. Parents/guardians should supervise, but likely your child will be immersed in solving riddles or seeking treasure!
At the core of our virtual & package camp is the goal to support the stay-at-home camper and to assist parents in providing engaging activities for their children to do. We hope the brief virtual sessions with campers will be welcoming, allowing for Camp leaders to provide simple guidance and help youth stay connect. We know it can be stressful going into a virtual world without a friendly face and highly recommend youth sign up for a session with a friend.
Our camps hope to:
- Engage Haida Gwaii youth meaningfully in online in activities that support healthy behaviours
- Support Haida Gwaii parents/guardians with engaging & age-appropriate activities for their children
- Offer healthy snack options to campers
What we don’t want to do is create a camp that adds more work to parent/guardian to-do lists. We will remain flexible with individual needs. The packages are designed with intention; we want children to feel supported, engaged, and able to complete activities with a level of independence. Our Camp Leaders will engage online in ways that foster independence & support creativity. Parents/guardians must be close by to assist or monitor bad behaviour, especially for the youngest age group. However, we are designing our camps with hopes you will not feel additional pressure on your time to be fully present and engaged in activities during the planned virtual sessions.
SAMPLE WEEKLY ITINERARY:
The deadline for registration is 5:00PM PDT the Sunday before camp or when camp registration is full. Children and parents/guardians can expect a package of camp activities and healthy snacks delivered on their doorstep on Tuesday (in line with COVID-19 guidelines). From Wednesday to Friday of that week, students will attend a 1 or 1.5hr session virtually with our Camp Counsellors over Zoom (You can download Zoom here: https://zoom.us).
Monday – Friday Zoom Sessions
10:00AM – 11:00AM – The Littles (ages 5 – 6 years) meet for 1 hr
1:00PM – 2:30PM – The Bigs (ages 7 – 10 years) meet for 1.5hrs
3:00PM – 4:30PM – The Pre-Teens (ages 11 & 12 years) meet for 1.5hrs
Please ensure that your child/ren can attend at least 2 of the 3 scheduled Zoom sessions before registering.
No Internet?We may accept youth that cannot attend Zoom sessions on a first-come first-served basis. We will provide packages with enhanced instruction for activities so they can be done at home independently.
Our staff will do our best to accommodate all ages and abilities in our programs. Once we’re aware of ages and skill levels of registrants, we will adjust programming to meet the needs.
LOCATION: Online (Zoom)
- Week One: August 10 -14, 2020 – Theme: Under the Sea
- Week Two: August 17 – 21, 2020 – Theme: Natures Treasure Quest
- Week Three: August 24 – 28, 2020 – Theme: Around the World
- $55/child/week – includes package delivery
Some subsidies are available. Please e-mail email@example.com for assistance.
- Stable Internet connection
- Computer or tablet – needs to include a microphone and webcam
- Zoom.us (please install ahead of time)
For assistance, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss. We may be able to provide support with technology and/or the Internet.
WAITLIST: To be placed on a waitlist, please e-mail registration details (name of child/ren, age(s), community) to email@example.com.
COVID-19 SAFETY PLAN: Edits to our safety plan will include inter-community travel and delivery protocol. We will send it to all registrants and post on our website (www.hgrec.com/covid-19/).
CANCELLATION POLICY: Full refund with 7 days advance notice or if absence due to illness. For children unable to attend due to illness, a package will still be available and we may be able to allow children to attend a future Zoom session with another group.
PRIVACY & SECURITY POLICY: The platform we will be using to host the virtual portion of our camps isZoom. Each camper will have a unique password for entry into a “waiting room” before each session. Only the first name and last initial of the camper will be shown to protect their identity. Virtual backgrounds will be encouraged for more privacy for both Camp Leaders and campers. There will be limits on screen captures and screen sharing to only the hosts (camp leaders); however, screenshots will not be taken of camps at all. Chat features will be disabled. All campers are on mute and un-muted by the camp leaders when there are questions or discussion. Our staff is trained in using Zoom and the accompanying security features. Careful attention to privacy and security features is a priority.
By registering your child, you acknowledge you have read and agree to the following policies:
- Parents/guardians are prohibited from sharing meeting links and passwords with other campers or children not enrolled in a camp session;
- Parents/guardians of children must be in attendance to moderate behaviour and to supervise campers during the virtual sessions;
- Parents/guardians are tasked with the prevention of online bullying or other inappropriate behaviour. Our staff reserves the right to address cyber harassment, online bullying or other inappropriate behaviour, and will work with parents/guardians to resolve. Any incidents will be recorded and retained. It may require that a camper is removed from the virtual component of the camps;
- Parents/guardians must be in attendance or have a designated adult (18+) in attendance to assist with technology and/or monitor the behaviour of the camp attendee during the virtual sessions.
Our staff are prohibited from one-on-one interactions with campers and from “friending” or direct messaging campers on any online platform. Parents and the Camp Supervisor will be cc’d on any communication with a camper outside of a camp session, defaulting to direct communication with parents/guardians. Sessions will only be recorded and retained for safety purposes, and only if all parents/guardians consent.
- Staff will wear a camp uniform/staff shirt during all virtual programming;
- A minimum of two staff will be present in all virtual programming spaces or “rooms”;
- Staff will abide by all camp policies, including refraining from smoking, vaping, drinking alcoholic beverages, etc. during virtual program hours;
- Staff will consider the background from which they broadcast from and gain director approval of background prior to going live;
- No virtual programming will occur without the written consent of the Recreation Coordinator;
- All virtual programming will occur through the Haida Gwaii Recreation’s professional account and not through staff personal accounts.
For more information on Privacy & Kids, check out resources from the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR CHILD
In addition to completing registration & payment online, parents/guardians must read & sign individual waiver forms for each child. Please contact us if you have any issue completing the form:
Send the form directly to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible following registration. If you have trouble registering online or wish to pay by cheque or e-transfer, you can use our paper form and submit all supporting documentation as soon as possible. Parents must also acknowledge and agree to our new policies.