Fitness Education Fund
This fund will be available in Spring/Summer 2021! Stay tuned for updates.
Haida Gwaii Regional Recreation Commission’s Fitness Education Fund helps to cover distance learning course & workshop fees for current and aspiring group fitness instructors through BC Recreation & Parks Association (BCRPA). This fund is intended to provide financial support to individuals fitness education pursuits and enhance capacity to deliver quality fitness programming on Haida Gwaii.
In 2020, we will support two grant streams:
- Course Grant: Four grants of max. $200 each will be awarded to individuals taking BCRPA-approved distance learning courses for fitness certification.
- Workshop Grant: Four grants of max. $50 each will be awarded to local fitness instructors taking BCRPA eLearn workshops to attain Continuing Education Credits required to maintain certification.
Who can apply?
- This is open to island residents
- Ages 18+
- Individuals (not yet instructors) applying to the Course Grant must have attended at least one (1) Haida Gwaii Recreation fitness program ran through Haida Gwaii Recreation in 2019/2020.
- Instructors applying to the Course Grant to further their education ran at least one (1) program through Haida Gwaii Recreation in 2019/2020.
- Instructors applying to the Workshop Grant ran at least one (1) program through Haida Gwaii Recreation in 2019/2020.
- Instructors must be registered through BCRPA’s Registry of Fitness Professionals The Registry® lists fitness professionals who have met provincial and national standards. The fitness professionals listed in The Registry are fully certified and have current CPR, First Aid and specialty training in specific areas of fitness. This directory can be used to find a professional to help you meet your employment or fitness and health goals, and to confirm BCRPA registration status and specialty designations. Applicants not on The Registry must provide hard copies of certifications (CPR , First Aid) and their designations.
What is covered?
- Reimbursement of course fees following proof of completion, to a maximum of $200.00
- Only covers actual expenses (i.e. if the course was $150.00, you only receive $150.00)
- Reimbursement of Continuing Education Credits for Fitness Instructors
- BCRPA-approved distance learning courses – note that course fees vary. Regardless of which course you choose to do, you will only be covered to a maximum of $200.
- BCRPA eLearn workshops – note that workshop fees vary. Regardless of which workshop you choose to do, you will only be covered to a maximum of $50.
Terms & Conditions
- You have 6-months to register & complete your distance learning program and send proof of completion to Haida Gwaii Recreation for reimbursement. Programs have limits on how long you can take to complete post-registration. Should you need an extension, you must send a request to the Rec Coordinator before the 6-month deadline to receive a one-time
- If your employer or another funder is covering the cost of your course/workshop, you are not eligible for this fund.
- If approved, you’ll be asked to provide
Application Deadline & How to Apply
- June 1, 2020 @ 4PM
- E-mail all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will hear back within 2 weeks after the deadline via e-mail or by phone of the funding decision.
- Completed Application Form: Haida Gwaii Recreation Fitness Training Fund
- Copies of Certifications (if not listed on The Registry®)
How to Apply
Please submit this application & all additional documents in .docx or .pdf format to the Recreation Coordinator at email@example.com by the deadline.
 Resident – has lived on Haida Gwaii for minimum 12-months consecutively. Exceptions include returning post-secondary students and seasonal residents with a permanent address.
 Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis to reimburse prior to proof of completion.